Student Scholarship Opportunities
Each year, the Delaware SHRM Chapter is pleased to award scholarships to outstanding undergraduate and graduate students who exhibit a promising future in the HR Profession. Scholarships are awarded at the annual Delaware State HR Conference and Expo held in November each year.
In 2018, Delaware SHRM awarded $2500 scholarships to three deserving students attending Delaware colleges. To be considered, each student had to meet specific requirements as well as submit a 3-minute video solving a human resource challenge. The following students won the 2018-2019 scholarship awards:
- Toni Leonardi – University of Delaware
- Ashley Clark – Goldie Beacom College
- Tonya Adkins – Wilmington University
Congratulations to the 2018 scholarship award winners!
Apply Now for a Student Scholarship
The Delaware Society for Human Resource Management (DESHRM) is pleased to invite students to apply for the 2019 -2020 Undergraduate and Graduate Student Scholarship. Scholarships will be awarded at the annual Delaware State Human Resources Conference and Expo held on November 4-5, 2019.
The Delaware Chapter of SHRM is the premier human resources association for The First State. Since 1974, we have provided members with professional development, relevant HR information, legislative updates, and networking opportunities that stimulate professional growth and enhance workplace contributions. One of our main objectives is to provide a wide range of educational sessions, programs and other activities that allow members to develop and enhance their expertise in the various functional areas that constitute human resource management. Because our emphasis is on education, this year we have chosen to provide $2,500 scholarships to students majoring in Human Resources or a related program.
Who is Eligible?
- Undergraduate students currently enrolled in a Human Resources degree program or a related program with a 3.00 GPA or above.
- Graduate students currently enrolled in a Master's Degree program and clearly pursuing an emphasis area in Human Resources or a related program with a 3.5 GPA or above.
All Applicants Must:
- Either live or work in Delaware or be enrolled at a Delaware College or University.
- Be enrolled in a Human Resources or related degree program and continuing their education during the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Be able to promote DESHRM activities or assists with special projects.
- Volunteer at the 2019 DE SHRM conference.
- Become a Delaware SHRM member after graduation.
The following components are required to apply. Please submit all components to Patricia Troy-Brooks, at Pat@pattroybrooks.com by Monday, September 30, 2019.
- Completed application
- One letter of recommendation from faculty member (up to 2 letters).
- One letter of recommendation from an HR professional or community leader (up to 2 letters).
- Resume, including your education, employment history, and volunteer activities.
- Official college transcript (requirement is a GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale) (3.5 for graduate applicants).
- Provide a, single-spaced 1-page document telling us about yourself (see instructions below).
- Link to a video you create on YouTube (see instructions below).
Provide a, single-spaced 1-page document using a 12-point font to share the following:
- Explain your objective in pursuing your degree.
- What do you hope to achieve as a result of obtaining your degree?
- Tell us about our hobbies, volunteer activities, and interests.
Create a 2 to 4-minute video addressing the following topic:
How do you feel Artificial Intelligence will impact the field of Human Resources?
Your video content needs to answer the following questions:
- How do you think it will change the hiring process?
- How can we adapt as Human Resource Professionals?
Video Submission Process:
Your video must be submitted using YouTube. Below you will find links to YouTube with instructions on how to upload videos and how to make your video private and unavailable to the general public.
How to upload videos
*Be sure to change your privacy settings and select “Unlisted” to ensure that your video is private and not available to the general public.
about uploading videos to YouTube.
The scholarship applicant is solely responsible for creating and successfully submitting a working link to their 2 to 4-minute video. All technical issues must be resolved by the applicant. All submissions without a video will be disqualified.
The deadline to apply is Monday, September 30, 2019.
The Delaware SHRM Scholarship committee will review all packages and provide feedback in late October. We will consider your passion for the HR field, commitment to a career in human resources, your video response to the topic, and scholastic average and standing. We also will consider the total achievements and need of each applicant. We recognize that strength in one area could outweigh deficiency in another.